Thursday, October 8, 2015

With no artwork in mind

I am taking Cat Bennett's online class, "Making Art a Practice".  This is some of my "output" from the first week's mark-making exercises:

Colored pencil, ink, graphite.

Water color crayons

The exercise is about making marks with no specific finished piece in mind, and if specific imagery begins to appear, then move away from it, i.e. if the shape is beginning to resemble a flower, then avoid making actual flower shapes, resist the urge to turn it into a landscape or more likely in my case, a dog :-)

Copic markers, ink, pastels

Gelatos, ink, paint pen

I am surprised by how "guilty" I felt - using TIME every day (!) where my goal is not a finished piece, but instead those of experimentation and exploration.  It's liberating :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment