Monday, January 26, 2015

Glazing is amazing :-)

I enjoy using a couple of techniques (a lot) - glazing and sgrafitto.  My focus on these techniques came straight from "Table Top: Drawing and Painting", an online class taught by Diane Culhane.

A few days ago I completed a Table Top-inspired still life.  It began like this:

From "Transparent Layering" blog post


(transparent layering blog post http://darlenecranna.blogspot.com/2015/01/layering-transparent-colors.html )


The next phase is about adding color - layering glazes:


At this point I was unsure of how I would develop this painting differently from previous ones; time to put this aside for a while.

Some days later I came back to it. Next steps:
  • Add more glazing. 
  • Add definition with opaque layers.
  • Sgrafitto for revealing earlier layers and to add texture.

And the finished piece:

"Three Vases with Flowers"

For more about Diane's class, here's a short video http://vimeo.com/77735037

No comments:

Post a Comment